All beans, except for lentils must be soaked for 48 hours prior to using them. Beans are high in phytates which most people have difficulty breaking down (thus resulting in increased flatulence). Phytates can also interfere with the absorption of certain vitamins and minerals in the body.
- Take raw beans and place in pot.
- Fill with water until there is twice as much water as beans
- Soak for 24 hours, then drain beans and rinse
- Place back in pot and repeat soaking for another 24 hours (48 hour soak time in total)
- After 48 hours, drain beans, rinse and you may either cook them or freeze for later use. (frozen beans will last for 2-3 months in the freezer and usually longer if they’ve been vacuumed sealed)
Hint: After grocery shopping, I immediately soak my beans then freeze them for later use. This way, when I want to cook them in a recipe, they are ready to go.